Tuesday, March 31, 2009

the 'craft


last saturday my parents and i went to michigan! but not just michigan, back to schoolcraft, back to my hometown! i go to michigan every year, we have a cottage about 5 hours from here... but last saturday was the first time i'd been back to schoolcraft since i graduated high school and maybe only a time or two before that since we moved! i was ridiculous with excitment!!!

the neighborhood looked so different but yet exactly like i remembered it!


that's dairy isle. that was THE place to be for ice cream in the summer! we rode our bikes up there all the time! it looks like it's no longer open, and there's not even a sign that says what the darn place is called, but the sign out front actually says they were taking applications that day! i thought about applying... but that would be a long commute from indiana!


this was my house! i LOVED this house... L-O-V-E, LOVED! if i could pick it up and move it i would in a heartbeat! i cried when i saw it. it used to be a light blue color, and the front yard had trees in it! it looked so different! there was also a shed in the back but it's gone now. behind that shed, my friend, elie, and her brother, josh, and i buried a time capsule! i wish the shed had been there so i could have dug up the capsule. but alas, without the shed i wouldn't have the slightest clue where to begin digging!


i really hope this picture turns out and you can see what it says! it's the end of the driveway of our old house... it's mine and my brother's handprints. they were done in 1986 and i was only 4-years-old. this was what started the tears. i was certain they wouldn't still be there after all this time but there they were!




the top picture is where my dad added on to the driveway so that my brother would have a little basketball court! there was never room for him to play b-ball in the driveway with my friends and i always controlling it with 4-square and hopscotch :)

the second picture is the corner of the b-ball "court" where my dad put our last name and the date! that ALSO made me cry! LOL!!! we moved in may of 1994, so that wasn't even there a year!


there used to be a big oak tree close to this small tree. when i was learning to ride my bike, kate (the reason for the visit to schoolcraft in the first place...but that's for the next blog post!) was "teaching" me how to ride. we would start out up close to her house and she would push me through the yard... right straight in to this tree and the big oak tree! OR, right in to the road. then, my mom, from our living room window, having witnessed the whole traumatic event, would scream at her out the window to stop throwing me in front of the "traffic" (or the five cars that drove down the road a day lol)! ahhhh memories! lol




these two houses were my home's away from home! the first was my friend elie's and the second was my friend bridget's (also the house i was at on saturday). the three of us could always be found together at one of our homes!!!


this was the neighborhood pool. actually it beloned to the wood's but we were ALWAYS in it! i have so many memories of swimming in that pool. and it's where i LEARNED to swim! it looked a lot nicer when i was younger and before those selfish wood's moved! LOL!!!

i had the BEST time saturday in schoolcraft, and it made me sad that we ever moved in the first place. i miss those people and every time we get to see them, i miss them even more!

3 comments:

Keri said...

Now I have pictures to go in my mind when you talk about these places and things!! :) What a fun walk down memory lane!

Angela said...

Oh what fun to go back to where you grew up! I love driving through Colonial Heritage and seeing where I used to live. And remembering all the fun times in that neighborhood. Very cool your names are still in the concerete! I totally cant spell concrete. :)

haley said...

HAHAHA! concerete! awesome!